We took over our half plot in February 2006. We had been on a waiting list for 3 years. Sarah was pregnant and so we knew she wouldn’t be able to help much for a good year and a half, but didn’t want to pass up the opportunity.
We hear that our allotment site is one of the highest and most exposed in England and at the time we moved in, there was no water supply. A trough has since been connected by the entrance to the plots, so is considerably easier to manage irrigation.
The first thing we had to do was fence off our half as our allotments are now being offered as half plots as they become available. This took some energy and investment, but we were fortunate in that we had the choice of which half, and so opted for the lower half with the poly tunnel.
We’ve had all sorts of minor disasters since we started, including the shed roof blowing off along with our newly connected guttering system for the water butt, and fencing a hungry rabbit in!
So far we’ve tried to focus on plant productivity but this year, we’d like to think more about the plot structure and making it work better for us. This will require considerably more hours, but now the children are a little older we hope that will be possible.